Briefcase Informed Divorce - sponsored by Flexx Law, P.S.

top right photo

  Saving Your Marriage
  Washington State Law
· Petition
· Separation Agreements & Temporary Orders
· Mediation
· Final Decree
· Modification
  Choose your Attorney
  Working with your Attorney
  Save $ On Your Divorce
  Financial Planning
  Your Career Goals
  Ask the Professionals
  How to Negotiate
  Emotional Side of Divorce
  Bringing It All Together - Professional Team Work
  Share Your Experience
  King County Resources
  Suggested Reading
  International Family Law
  Business Assets
  Contact us
  Site notes
Left photo
The Legal Process - Modification

After you have obtained your divorce decree, over time circumstances may change. For example, with regard to child support your income or the income of your former spouse may have changed since the date of the final order and the order of child support no longer seems fair or the parenting plan as contemplated at the time of the dissolution simply is not working or does not reflect what is actually happening. At these times you may wish to consider a modification, which means bringing the matter back into court and asking the court to modify or change the prior order.

There are threshold requirements that you must meet as to the extent of the change. Please note that there are exceptions to the rules of modification. Beware of agreeing to non-modifiable spousal maintenance in your divorce. You may find yourself in a situation where you cannot modify despite the changed circumstances.

If you find yourself in this situation with non-modifiable maintenance, the best thing to do is consult an attorney to see if anything can be done to help you.